Yesterday morning, I woke up with a slight feeling of sadness. I couldn’t place at first where my melancholy mood came from, but within seconds, I realized I was grieving over saying goodbye to 2010. This year resonated with meaning for me.
Here is an inventory of my 2010:
- The year started with a new job in a profession I had dreamed of working in since I was 16….counseling.
- The people I work with are a great match for me and they make my job enjoyable.
- This year I graduated with my counseling degree and was honored for the work I have done with incorporating creativity in counseling.
- My husband and I took a trip to Oregon and Seattle….a trip which changed our lives for the better and will continue to shape how we live.
- This was the last year I spent with my dear friend Dennis. And although losing Dennis was very difficult, the impact he made in my life is far grater than the loss. I will be forever grateful for the hand of Fate which brought him close to us.
- This year I officiated at my first memorial service (for Dennis). This was a monumental honor.
- This year I also had the honor of marrying a beautiful young couple. Weddings are one of my favorite forms of collaborative creativity.
- This year I found a new understanding with food and body. I am eating better, moving better, and feeling better.
- This year I felt the darkness over losing my mother in my early 20’s lift. I used to feel like I knew death intimately because it came into my life so young. Today my focus has moved away from death and is on getting to know LIFE!
- This year we invited a close friend and her son to move in with us. We are cultivating our little commune together. I am loving it.
- This year, I was published, another life long dream.
So ya see….2010 rocked. And because I am a sentimental kinda soul, my heart will always hold this year close. But not so close that I will let it stand in my way of making 2011 something special.
So I say Good-bye to the Old Year and Hello to the New!